If you haven’t checked out The Beauty Department, you’re missing out on all sorts of fun! Created by Lauren Conrad, Kristin Ess (Lauren’s hair stylist) and Amy Nadine (Lauren’s makeup artist), it offers a wealth of beauty knowledge including makeup tips, hair how-tos and fun DIY tutorials.
Here are a few favorite tutorials I’m dying to try:
- Make your own dotting tool for polka dot manis.
- Pin up a fabulous braided bun for a twist (ha!) on the trend.
- Paint on a fabulous mix of prints for a beyond unique mixed print manicure.
So go ahead, get inspired! Try some of The Beauty Department’s DIYs…if you dare!
All images via The Beauty Department.
There are so many traditions surrounding weddings that, as a Bride-to-be, it is easy to loose track when there are countless other tasks at hand to be concerned with. It is said that, for good luck, you need something borrowed, something old, something new and, oh goodness, something blue! Your bridesmaids are the go-to gals for making sure your bases are covered in this department so don’t be shy about calling upon them to complete the list of necessities! There is one tradition, however, that can only fall in the hands of a certain very special person…your beloved groom!
Most often it is the bride and/or her family who take on the financial responsibility of the wedding itself. The many tiring months of planning your dream day are also likely to fall in your lap, with the exception of a few choice activities such as the cake testing, which is an appointment most guys conveniently find the time in their schedules to accompany you to! As a way of saying “thank you” for all of your hard work, the groom is expected to buy his blushing bride a very special wedding gift.
Please allow me to set the scene for you…Wedding Day: roughly 2 hours away from “show-time”. You are nestled in your bridal suite sipping champagne while being fussed over by your “glam squad” who are making sure that every eyelash is extended to it’s fullest and each curl is pinned in place just perfectly. There is a knock at the door and your Maid of Honor rushes to answer it, making sure to open the door just a crack as not to let just anyone see the guest of honor before she is camera ready! It is the Best Man who has come to deliver something special from the groom. The gift is promptly snatched out of his hands and the door is shut. The bridal party all gather around while you do the honors in opening what looks to be a jewelry box. Oh wait, first there is a note! (Who can blame a girl for almost missing the envelope when that jewelry box is staring her in the face!) The card reads; “Thank you for marrying me today. I will love you forever and ever.” ….or something along those lines but anything sweet will do when there’s a bauble to be opened! Wide eyes and ooohing and ahhing come from the group as you hold up your gorgeous necklace, bracelet, ring or pair of earrings! What a perfect start to a magical day! As you walk down the aisle, feeling like the most beautiful girl in the world, you will proudly be wearing this new token from your hubby-to-be and your “thank you” to him will come in the form of a great big “I DO!”
**Ladies, I strongly encourage you to share this post with your fiances, as sometimes these messages are better received coming from an outside source ;)
The ideal wedding gift from your man needs to be something that will be able to be worn with your gown and not intrude on the overall “look” that you’ve got going on for your day when all eyes will be on YOU. He is best served seeking the help of someone close to you who knows, first-hand, exactly what you have planned for your wedding day look. Is the dress strapless, lending itself beautifully to a necklace or drop earrings? Or does it have a complicated neckline in which case he is safer to go with a earrings or a ring? Here are some of my favorite choices:
Your treasured wedding gift from your husband will become an heirloom for you to pass down to your daughter someday, perhaps as her “something borrowed” when it’s her turn to walk down the aisle. This is one tradition not to be missed so make sure you clue your guy in on the importance of it! After all, his gift in return is marrying YOU!
- Amy McLaughlin | Lifestyle Designer | www.amymclaughlin.com
We are so pleased and honored to announce that Amy McLaughlin, celebrity and lifestyle stylist, will be guest blogging for us over the next few weeks sharing her favorite Jewelry tips for any occasion. Here are a few questions we asked her to share with our community so that we can get to know her better:
How long have you been in the Lifestyle Design Industry?
My Mother was the General Manager of a large five-star hotel while I was growing up. I would walk there every day after school and be her “helper”. We would often be setting up for weddings and events or sometimes choosing new furniture and fabrics for one of the guest-rooms, which were gorgeous and all completely unique from one another. If you count this experience, I guess I could say that I’ve been in this industry for almost twenty years now!
What inspired you to create Amy McLaughlin Lifestyle Design?
When I moved to Los Angeles, California at age 20 to finish my last two years of college, I became friends with some of the younger, up and coming players in the Entertainment Industry. I was fortunate enough to be the “date”, to those of them who were single, to the Academy Awards, Emmys, Grammys and countless movie premieres. Instead of hiring a wardrobe stylist to help them with what to wear, they used me because they liked my style and I was free of charge! Pretty soon they were telling their friends about me when asked who had dressed them. I had one girlfriend who continuously made People Magazine’s “Worst Dressed list” then she sought my help and made it on the BEST dressed list the following month! Aside from the wardrobe stuff, I loved to entertain and was known for hosting some pretty killer dinner parties. My friends in the “biz” began to hire me to do their parties also then, eventually their weddings. (Some of which were pretty noteworthy and highly publicized!) Soon enough I realized that I really could make a business out of doing what I love thus Amy McLaughlin Lifestyles was born!
What makes your business unique?
AML is unique because it is all-encompassing. It’s like one-stop-shopping for all areas of lifestyle enhancement. We not only want to help you throw the most fabulous party, we want you to look good while doing it! Your home is also a direct reflection of your personal style and we will assist you in making your décor reflect the very best of you.
How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is as classic as they come. Most people are surprised by this because it is my job to be up on the latest trends. I dress my clients in whatever is fresh off the runways but, for myself, I am happiest in my Chanel ballet flats, Seven jeans, Hermes Belt and Gap T-Shirt topped off with a cashmere cable knit sweater if it’s chilly.
What is your favorite piece on Gemvara? How would you style it?
The Petite Skylight Heart gem pendant in yellow gold with a sapphire. I am a yellow gold girl all the way (I believe all blondes should be!) and this necklace is so simple and feminine. I would of course pair it with a simple T-Shirt and Jeans but it would also look perfect with your favorite LBD.
What gemstone represents you?
My favorite stone (besides the diamond of course!) is the Sapphire. I think of Princess Diana whenever I see one. She was such a brilliant style icon so I suppose that’s why I gravitate towards this particular stone.
You can follow and learn more about Amy on facebook and twitter!
Twitter: AmyEMcLaughlin Facebook: Amy McLaughlin Lifestyle
Whether you’re attending a St. Patrick’s Day parade, hitting the local pub or simply eating a green frosted doughnut in front of the TV, there are tons of ways to show your holiday spirit via your outfit. With options like mint, chartreuse, emerald and lime to choose from, you can create an outfit that fits your personality and style.
If your style is: Girly
Choose a pair of fitted mint colored jeans and pair with a lace embellished t-shirt. Add fun accents like jewel encrusted flats and sparkly drop earrings.
If your style is: Girl Next-door
Grab your favorite green cardigan and throw it over a fitted grey t-shirt. Throw on your most worn in boyfriend jeans, a pair of Toms and a fun statement necklace.
If your style is: Edgy
Embrace the oh-so-hot neon trend by mixing an electric green crop top with skinny jeans and heels. Choose a studded belt or bright bangles to finish off the look.
If your style is: Bohemian
Go for a printed maxi dress with a green theme and pair with sandals and a great pedicure. Add a chunky necklace and large earrings if you’re feeling extra bold.
If your style is: Glamorous
Go all out with an emerald colored cashmere sweater, cropped pants and large, sparkly studs. Really play up the sweater with emerald colored eyeliner and matching kitten heels.
What are you wearing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
This post is part of a guest blogger series featuring Alana Brooks of The Good Girl Gone Blog.
Color blocking seems to be the trend that will never end…and I’m ok with that. You worked it this winter in bright knit tights paired with pencil skirts, skinny belts and blouses, and you’ll be wearing it again this spring with peep toe heels, candy colored capris and fun colored tops. Designers are even talking about color blocking making its way into 2013!
An interesting take on the trend brings color blocking to the next level by adding a monochromatic twist. Instead of pairing uniquely colored pieces, stick to the same general color palette and experiment with varying shades. Here’s some inspiration I pulled from the latest J.Crew catalogue:
Notice how even though the looks above contain at least 2 key pieces in the same general color, they also add an additional hue an extra playful edge. The best way to achieve that edge is definitely with your accessories; wear a fun skinny belt, try a bold statement necklace or choose a bright pair of pumps to complete the look.
Extra credit: find one item that encompasses the monochromatic trend in itself, like these amethyst and rose quartz earrings!
The Sanskrit word for ruby is “ratnaraj,” which means “king of the gemstones.” Second only to diamonds in the Mohs hardness scale, rubies are durable and can be cleaned easily with a soft cloth and mild dish soap. Or vodka, if you prefer.
Rubies were widely used in royal insignias and crowns — St. Wenzel’s Crown holds a staggering 250-carat ruby. The 167-carat Edwardes Ruby was named for Major General Sir Herbert Benjamin Edwardes who turned back the tide of mutiny against British rule in India. It rests in the British Museum of Natural History in London, donated by John Ruskin in 1887. American crowds can gape at the 137-carat Rosser Reeves Ruby, on display at the Smithsonian.
In more modern times, rubies remain popular. The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, received a ruby engagement ring from Prince Andrew. Singer and budding fashion tycoon Jessica Simpson also sports a ruby engagement ring, so similar to this Gemvara ring here, that we named it after her.
Right now, I’m obsessing over this stunning ruby pendant. Set in 14K yellow gold, this piece just exudes luxury. Eight marquis-cut rubies radiate from a round center stone. Play with color and develop your own unique piece! I added tanzanite accent gems for a spellbinding look. I love it. Maybe I’ll drop some hints to the fiancée. My birthday is in a few weeks after all…
I toyed with the idea of ruby engagement rings for awhile, particularly this one, with its lovely vintage beading, diamond halo, and side diamonds:
And the Natalie Ring, with a ruby in place of a center diamond, surrounded by a double halo of pavé diamonds, is just so hot! I can only imagine the jaws dropping.
Gemvara Celtic Jewelry $500 Gift Card Pinterest Contest Rules:
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
2. SPONSOR: Gemvara (“Sponsor”). Although the contest (“Contest”) may be promoted or administered through a Facebook interface, Facebook is not affiliated with this promotion and does not endorse or sponsor this promotion in any way.
3. ADMINISTRATOR: Gemvara – One Financial Center, 8th Floor Boston, MA, 02111 (“Administrator”).
4. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to legal residents in all of the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia who are (1) are eighteen (18) years of age or older, and (2) have Internet access. The Contest is void in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Military installations in foreign countries, all other U.S. territories and possessions and wherever prohibited or restricted by law. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Employees of Gemvara and its respective parent companies, affiliated companies, subsidiaries and any of their agents, advertising, promotional and other agencies, and the immediate families (parents, siblings, children and spouse) and persons living in the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/directors/officers are not eligible to enter the Contest or win a prize (each and collectively, “Prize(s)”).
5. HOW TO ENTER: This Contest begins at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on March 1, 2012, and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. EST on March 15, 2012 (the “Contest Period”), according to Administrator’s time clock. To enter the Contest, please access the contest instructions at http://blog.gemvara.com/2011/02/28/st-patricks-day-pinterest-contest-rules or http://pinterest.com/gemvara/ and complete the entry process.
By entering, entrants agree to comply with these Official Rules including all eligibility requirements. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility of all entrants. Illegible and/or incomplete Entries and Entries submitted by entrants who do not meet the eligibility requirements (including all requirements with respect to age and residence) are void. Sponsor, Administrator and their agents are not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected Entries, for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, for lost or unavailable network connections, or for failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions or any human error which may occur in the receipt or processing of the Entries. Proof of entering information at website does not constitute proof of delivery or receipt. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the scheduling of the Contest without prior notification. Use of computer programs, macro, programmed, robotic, automatic and other similar means to enter the Contest is prohibited and may result in the disqualification of Entries and/or the entrant. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an Entry, the Entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the e-mail account is registered on the date the Entry is submitted. All Entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
6. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: Potential winners will be selected in a random drawing on or about March 16, 2012 by Sponsor or its designee, the judge of the Contest, whose decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest (“Potential Winners”). Each Potential Winner will be notified by email using the email address provided in the Contest Entry (“Prize Notification”) and each Potential Winner must respond by email within seven (7) calendar days of the date of the Prize Notification (the “Deadline”), with Potential Winner’s full name and a mailing address (“Mailing Information”), where Sponsor can send his/her Prize (if warranted), a Declaration or Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (collectively, the “Contest Documents”). The mailing address must be a street address (no P.O. Boxes). If any Potential Winner does not respond to the Prize Notification by the Deadline, such Potential Winner will be disqualified and an alternate Potential Winner (for each unclaimed Prize) will be selected from all remaining eligible entries received for the original drawing. Once Sponsor or Administrator receives each Potential Winner’s Mailing Information, a set of Contest Documents will be sent to each Potential Winner via overnight mail. Each Potential Winner must sign and return the Contest Documents postmarked within seven (7) calendar days of the date the Potential Winner received the Contest Documents, or the Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Potential Winner selected for each such unclaimed Prize. Sponsor and Administrator are not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of Potential Winners’ to receive their Prize Notification or for Sponsor or Administrator to receive Potential Winners’ response and/or Contest Documents. Return of any Prize Notification or Contest Documents as undeliverable, the inability of Sponsor or Administrator to contact a Potential Winner, the failure of a Potential Winner to contact Sponsor or Administrator in a timely manner, the inability of a Potential Winner to accept or receive the Prize for any reason, and/or the non-acceptance by a Potential Winner of any Price for any reason will result in disqualification of such Potential Winner, and alternate Potential Winner(s) will be selected randomly from all remaining eligible entries received. Potential Winners who receive Prizes are known as the “Winners”.
7. PRIZES: Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”); First prize $500 Electronic Gift Card to Gemvara. Total ARV, $500.
8. PRIZE CONDITIONS: Selection and specifics of all Prizes will be determined at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. All Prizes are subject to availability. Winners are not entitled to any surplus between the actual retail value of his/her Prize and its stated ARV; and any difference between the stated ARV and actual value of the Prize will not be awarded. No cash redemption or prize substitution allowed, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute cash value or another prize it believes is of equal or greater value. All prizes are non-transferable. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received during the Contest Period. All Prizes are awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Acceptance, participation in and/or use of the Prizes are at the Winners’ sole risk and Sponsor and Administrator are not responsible for damages whatsoever, including special, indirect, or consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the use and/or misuse of any of the Prizes. Sponsor and Administrator reserve the right to verify eligibility of all Winners. Prizes will be awarded by email, U.S. Mail, Federal Express, UPS and/or other shipping method, in Sponsor’s and/or its Prize suppliers’ sole discretion, using the information provided in the Contest Entry.
All Prize Winners must complete and timely return the Contest Documents in order to receive his/her Prize. If any Winner is unable to participate in or accept a Prize or any portion of a Prize for any reason, Sponsor and Administrator shall have no further obligation to such Winner. Any and all activities related to each Prize are at the Winner’s own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern such activities. Referral Prizes will not be awarded to those Winners who are not referred entrants.
9. TAXES AND COSTS RELATED TO THE PRIZES: All applicable taxes and fees and any license and delivery charges are the sole responsibility of the Winner. All expenses and incidentals and other applicable taxes or charges not specifically mentioned herein are not included and are solely the responsibility of the Winner. Each Winner may be issued a 1099 tax form for the ARV of the Prize.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating in this Contest and/or by accepting a Prize, participants agree: (a) to be bound by these Official Rules, the decisions of the Sponsor , Administrator and/or their designees, and the Privacy Policies of Gemvara http://www.gemvara.com/Privacy-Policy/pages/v/policies/privacy (b) to release and hold harmless Sponsor and Administrator and their respective parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, together with their respective employees, directors, officers, licensees, licensors, shareholders, attorneys and agents including, without limitation, their respective advertising and promotion entities and any person or entity associated with the production, judging or administration of the Contest (collectively, the “Released Parties”), from any and all claims, demands, damages, losses, liabilities, costs or expenses caused by, arising out of, in connection with, or related to their participation in the Contest and/or their participation in any prize-related activities (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s) and/or the awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of any Prize or participation in any Prize-related activities); and (c) to be contacted by Sponsor and/or Administrator via e-mail. By accepting a Prize, each Winner consents to the use of his/her name and/or likeness (voice, biographical information, city and state of residence, statements, photograph, recordings, and any information available on their Facebook page) for advertising and promotional purposes (including, but not limited to, use on Sponsor’s web site and/or Gemvara Facebook page without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law). Sponsor reserves the right to make changes or additions to these Official Rules and/or extend the dates of this Contest for any reason at any time. Sponsor’s and/or Administrator’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
11. RELEASE. All decisions of Sponsor and Administrator are final and binding; and entrants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By accepting a Prize, each Winner agrees to release the Released Parties from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of Prize or participation in any Prize-related activities. Sponsor reserves the right to use the Contest for publicity purposes in any media, and to use the name, likeness, and hometown name and/or Prize information of selected entrants as part of that publicity, without any compensation or prior review unless prohibited by law. Any such use with respect to minors shall be subject to prior approval of parent or legal guardian. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of selected entrants, and selected entrants who are U.S. residents may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded Prize. This Contest is void outside the continental US, Alaska and Hawaii, and where prohibited or restricted by law, and subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. The Released Parties shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, stolen, misdirected, postage-due, incomplete unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or affidavits, regardless of the method of transmission; (ii) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by the Prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a Prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (v) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor and Administrator disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest, and reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor’s and/or Administrator’s control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor and/or Administrator may prohibit an Entrant from participating in the Contest or winning Prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such Entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other players or representatives of Sponsor and/or Administrator. Use of any automated system to participate is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification.
13. INTERNET: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection due to computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, human error or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor and/or Administrator that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds who tampers with the entry process, operation of the Contest or web site, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest without notice and to select the winners from all eligible Entries received prior to the cancellation or termination. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, problems or technical malfunctions of any computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or Entry to be received by Sponsor or Administrator on account of human error, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of website, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to any entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in the Contest.
14. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY ALTER OR DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE Contest MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR AND ADMINISTRATOR RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
15. DISPUTES: Each entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, or any Prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court in Boston, MA; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys fees and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages (other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses), and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant, the Sponsor and the Administrator in connection with this Contest shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of Massachusetts.
WINNER’S LIST/OFFICIAL RULES: For a list of Winners or a copy of the Official Rules, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Gemvara’s Celtic Jewelry Pinterest Contest $500 Gift Card Giveaway, Winner’s List/Official Rules, One Financial Center, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02111 to be received no later than September 15, 2012. Winners’ lists will be sent once all Winners have been verified and Prizes have been awarded.
Sponsored by Gemvara, Inc. © 2012 Gemvara All rights reserved.