Valentine’s Day is coming up and some of you are (hopefully) starting to think about what that means for you. Gifts? Date? Breakfast in bed? Flowers? Whatever your plan, the hardest part is always the first step: Asking someone to be your Valentine. Don’t fret – we’ve got answers!
There are two scenarios to asking someone to be your Valentine. The first is if you’re planning a date. In this case — ask ahead of time. The second scenario is if you are giving a gift or simply like the feeling of having a Valentine. In this case, you can ask the day of. Hey, you never know, maybe he or she won’t have plans that night…
Here are some cute suggestions for asking someone the day of:
- Send them a hand-written letter or poem. Cards in the mail or in person totally trump an e-mail.
- Not looking to skirt the issue? Be straightforward! It never hurts to ask.
- Send them some yummy treats that get your point across. Think: Heart shaped pizza, cookies that spell out “Will you Be Mine?” or personalized M&Ms.
- Surprise flowers are always a good idea. Send them to her home or office.
What about if you’re already dating?
- Write “Will you be my Valentine?” with lipstick on the bathroom mirror or leave a note on his or her car in the morning.
- Engrave a ring with a meaningful message such as, “You will be my Valentine forever” and present it to him or her. You can take advantage of Gemvara’s free engraving until 2/5.
- Create an extra-large sign, complete with balloons and streamers. Hang it in the house or even better, leave it for him or her at work. Humorous and silly is usually a good route.
- Surprise him or her with a home cooked dinner. (This would work best if you are married or living together). Act like you forgot about Valentine’s Day until she comes home to a romantic dinner. It may be tough and you could get some harassment throughout the day, but the payoff with be worth it.
Finally, who says you have to ask at all! Spend the day with friends and family who will be your Valentine’s every day of the year – even without you asking!